The last long farewell



Thirty years after the pandemic swept through the country swiftly and cruelly, forcing a state of emergency on the whole of Malaysia and the evacuation of the entire population, I found myself back in Kuala Lumpur.

It wasn’t the city I remembered from memory. That one had flash floods in the middle of the day after a heavy downpour, and horrible jams immediately thereafter. It had double-parkers, tailgaters, and very little sense of polite civility. That one was also warm, chaotic, colourful. The people were divided by politics and religion, but united on the streets and at dinner tables. It was imperfect, but it was home. At least for the first 25 years of my life. And now, here I was in KL. A very different KL than the one I had left in 2020. A new government, new leadership, new laws. Together with the rest of the Southeast Asian countries, it made up the Greater Indochina Confederation, a new world order after the fall of Asia during the pandemic, under the single rule of the Chinese empire. (An excerpt from an alternate reality fictional work in progress)



Comments

  1. oooo interesting. I'd read more. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'd like to submit it somewhere to see if it has a chance to get published. If you have any suggestions, let me know. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opposed

The star architect of Malaya